Friday, April 3, 2009

One More Time: Home on 8th

Despite my uneasiness over the disposable dishes they use to serve meals in-house, I decided to give Home on 8th (near Madison Square Garden) another try.

The vegetarian steamed dumplings, $5.50. They taste as bland as they look in this photo. Skip these.

The Peanut Butter Lover's Tofu (with carrots, broccoli and cabbage in a peanut-vinegar sauce), $9.95. I'm a peanut butter lover. Heck, I'm a borderline peanut butter enthusiast. But can I get some tofu and veggies with this peanut butter sauce?

I paired it with a teany peach berry green tea, $2. Okay, but so much cheaper and eco-friendly to brew your own at home and sweeten with agave nectar. Learn about the health benefits of agave here.

So that was take 2. I don't think take 3 will be on the horizon soon. I'll stick with my favorite, Empire Hunan, in Fair Lawn, NJ. Those disposable dishes just irk me too much. There's unfortunately a need for disposables sometimes, but it doesn't seem necessary here. I often look out the window on my bus ride to work each day and view the mini-landfills of trash on the roadside (consisting of water bottles, Doritos bags, Dunkin' Donuts cups, you name it) and think about our excessive waste and how we pollute, yet people justify the killing of geese, starlings, and even deer for supposedly polluting. Trying to cut down on our waste, and educate others on this, is a great resolution for the upcoming Earth Day and always.

Looking for vegan restaurants in New York City? Check out this Friends of Animals guide. (PDF)

No comments: