Monday, April 6, 2009

European Flair (and Vegan Food!) at Cafe Angelique


Whenever I go to Cafe Angelique in Tenafly, NJ, I feel like I'm transported back to Zurich, Paris or some other desirable European city. So it was fitting my recent visit there was after catching "Shall We Kiss?" a French film at the theater across the street.

Located in a restored railroad station, this charming cafe also has outdoor seating. On a leisurely, sunny weekend afternoon, I enjoyed the Vegan Angelique: avocado, greens, tomato and olive tapenade on toasted seven grain bread, served with a mesclun salad, $9.95, and a lemonade with fresh mint, $2.75.

I didn't have room for their chocolate whiskey cake, $7.50, which the waitress said was vegan. Sounds intriguing, although a bit pricey. Soy is also available if you want to indulge in a cappuccino, although they charge 40 cents extra. Definite discrimination, but at least they have it as an option.

Visit Cafe Angelique, 1 Piermont Rd., Tenafly, NJ. They have two New York City locations: 49 Grove St. and 68 Bleecker St.

No comments: