Sunday, November 23, 2008

Vegan Cupcakes at Sweet Avenue Bake Shop...Change I Can Believe In

I have to pinch myself. I'm beaming with pride like a new mother. I can barely believe it. New Jersey has a vegan cupcake bakery!

Yes, vegan foodies, Sweet Avenue Bake Shop in Rutherford, NJ, is here. I just had to go see this for myself. While the bakery also offers a small selection of cookies and muffins, I had tunnel-vision toward the cupcakes. You can see why!



The bakery has six cupcakes they feature always, and six additional flavors they feature that day. Cupcakes are $2.50 for plain, $3.00 for filled. As an occasional splurge, I consider these worth every penny. While overwhelmed with what to try, I finally decided on the Snowball (vanilla cake with coconut frosting and shredded coconut); Sexy Sadie (southern red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting), said to be their most popular flavor; the Chocolate Sundae (chocolate cake filled with chocolate Bavarian creme and topped with vanilla frosting); and the Old Skool (creme filled chocolate cake topped with chocolate ganache), that looks like the Hostess counterpart, minus the questionable animal fats. The Old Skool was my nostalgic favorite. I loved eating those as a kid (little did mini-me know what I was eating!) I was very greedy and ate the entire Old Skool myself, but shared the others for a taste test! They were a hit.

Several cupcakes later, we felt like some of my friends at the C.A.T.S. resale shop...


Visit them soon (and wear something with stretch) at 153 Park Avenue, Rutherford, NJ.

No comments: