Thursday, February 19, 2009

Not Dublin...But Close Enough


I love cozy Irish pubs, especially on a blustery winter day. One of my favorites is PJ Finnegan's in Westwood, New Jersey. Their vegetarian offerings are few, but I never tire of their veggie burger, topped with sauteed mushrooms and served with a side salad ($8.95).

PJ Finnegan's, 274 Fairview Avenue.

Since I've gone vegan, their rice pudding is off-limits. When you become vegan, you can't always eat what you used to where you might have in the past, and likely may have to make it yourself. But I find this a small sacrifice. Mercy for Animals' ChooseVeg site offers a vegan brown rice pudding recipe.

Westwood has a cute, affordable downtown area. I like to support the "mom and pop" establishments as much as possible. I don't want to live in a world of WalMarts. Find friendly service at Shaw's Book Shop (179 Westwood Ave.); check out Music Merchants (157 Westwood Ave.) for CDs, including a descent used section; and Fabulous Finds for women's designer consignment clothes (186 Center Ave., next to the movie theater).

One of my favorite Irish bands (and most photogenic!), The Corrs.

No comments: