Monday, February 23, 2009

Eating Vegan Food for A Good Cause

I went, I ate, I mingled, all for a great cause: supporting local environmental groups. If only I could figure out a way to nap for a charity...I'd make millions.

First, I hit Blue Moon Mexican Cafe in Wycoff to support the Community Night to benefit Hackensack Riverkeeper. This place is no Pancho's. The manager came over when I had questions for the waiter about what was vegan, which was a perfect opportunity for me to mention they should consider offering soy cheese and tofu sour cream. She didn't even know tofu sour cream existed.

A virgin peach margarita and a cup of black bean soup. Both $4, and both just okay. The margarita was a bit slushy.

A house salad with corn, black beans, cucumbers, tomatoes and tortilla strips, $6.95. This salad was just screaming for an avocado. Next time, I'll just dine at Pancho's and write a check to the Hackensack Riverkeeper. Sorry, Blue Moon!

Then I hit Bergen SWAN's fundraiser at the Hillsdale, NJ borough hall, with tasty food supplied by Veggie Heaven and my favorite, Trader Joe's. There were a few preparations of Trader Joe's meatless meatballs, including two vegan (BBQ and chili sauce) and non-vegan (vodka sauce).

There were also river poems recited and a silent auction, where you could bid on, among other items, cute reusable totes filled with eco-friendly cleaning supplies. Why the reusable grocery bag trend has yet to catch on is beyond me. They sell them for as little as 99 cents at major supermarkets, and everyone in suburbia where I live has a car where they can easily store them.

As a young teenage activist, I participated in a fundraising walk to support Bergen SWAN's efforts to protect land surrounding the local reservoir...a dream that was realized. They have been working to maintain this land and promote environment education for over two decades. Learn more about Bergen SWAN.

Learn more about Hackensack Riverkeeper, which offers paddling activities, bird-walks, and many volunteer opportunities for river clean-ups.

No comments: