Friday, July 9, 2010

I'd Rather Be....

Not feeling like being on the computer lately, especially when I'm on one at work all day and the lazy days of summer are here.

I'd rather be....

Enjoying a Field Roast Grain Meat Co.'s smoked apple sage vegan sausage off of the grill with some cold summer salads.


Or feasting on a BLT made with vegan Smart Bacon, followed by a dip in the pool.


Watching the Macy's fireworks in Weehawken.


Having some petit dejeuner at my favorite French cafe, Macaron. A baguette with strawberry jam, $2.50, and fresh squeezed orange juice, $3.50 (they squeeze it on the spot).

Going to the Bastille Day celebration.


Catching up on my French. I won a French in 3 Months cd and accompanying book in my community school French class.

Reading a good book. The Jane Austen classic? Just 25 cents at Our Thrift Shop in Westwood. Thrift shops are a treasure trove of books for your beach outing, summer getaway, or just respite indoors on a steamy day.


Sipping on a raspberry margarita on the outdoor patio at Pancho's, $8...

while enjoying a California tostado, $7.25. Check out the tofu sour cream!


Eating a piece of my co-worker Kathy's chocolate zucchini cake at a weekly tea break. The zucchini - straight from her garden. It's not vegan, but in communal situations like this, I don't fret too much about a small piece of cake.

Eating a veggie burger. Check out Everyday with Rachael Ray's Taste Test: The Best Veggie Burgers. Not everything is vegan (burgers included), but they give you creative ideas for dressing up your burger. Substitute dairy with products like Tofutti Sour Supreme, Vegenaise or your favorite non-dairy cheese, or just omit those ingredients.


Hope you are savoring the days of summer.

2 comments:

Ted Teodoro said...

I recommend those daily calendars that have French phrases on them plus a vocabulary builder.
Sometimes, they can get very elementary but you'll get your minimum daily dose of conversational French.

Catherine said...

Thanks for the comment and the tip. There are long breaks in between Fall and Spring sessions (about 3 months) so I need to motivate myself without the class. I took French in high school but so wish I had continued with it in college - and wish I had done a semester in Paris. Too bad I can't build a time machine and go back!