Friday, April 16, 2010

Union Square Greenmarket: A Springtime Visit

Before stopping by Barnes & Noble in Union Square to see Natalie Merchant, how does a visit to Union Square Park sound? The Empire State building is peeking out in the background.

It's just the right day, Wednesday, when the greenmarket is going on. Visit it year-round, every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 8 AM - 6 PM. Vendors vary depending on the day. Around Christmas, it becomes a holiday market.

Redefine "fast food": apples.


You can have a vegan cookie...

and wash it down with some apple cider.


Stop and smell the flowers.




Sample some wine.


Pick up a baguette.


Build a sign that says "$1.00 SALE" and New Yorkers will come. Baked goods were available here, include some vegan muffins. Note the McDonald's sign in the background. I like to think the farmers market is mocking it.


After a long hibernation indoors, a relaxed feeling is in the air. Time is taken to slow down.


Pick a park bench, and people watch.


A game of Hacky Sack.


Socialize with those with two legs, and with four.

Or just enjoy a moment of solitude on a fine spring day.

The ASPCA sponsored this doggy drinking fountain. Remember ASPCA Day last year? I still remember the yummy vegetarian chili I had that night at Heartland Brewery.


Sometimes, you just need a push! Love the little girl throwing her arms up in the air on the slide.


Our 16th president, Abraham Lincoln. A great book: Manhunt, by James Swanson, about the 12 day hunt for Lincoln's killer.


Time for the performance.

My cherished signed CD.

2 comments:

ConsciouslyFrugal said...

I end up getting so jealous over other farmers market prices! Our apples are $2-3 per pound. Ug. But then again, we have goodness growing all year round, so I need to shut it.

I just went to my first vegan restaurant. There's one within walking distance from my job. I thought of this lovely blog! Anyhoo, much to my surprise (I've had a couple of unpleasant vegan food experiences from Whole Foods), it was DELICIOUS. I had a "carnitas" burrito (they used jackfruit. WTF is that?). I didn't even notice the lack of meat or cheese. So. damned. good.

Catherine said...

I'm guessing the farmers have an abundance, and doubt these are organic - that would be too good to be true.

Confession: I had to google jackfruit. I had no idea! That does sound delicious. I love the idea of that vs. a mock meat. Mexican is one of my favorite cuisines for vegan.

Oh I'm so glad you liked it. I get really annoyed when I taste bad vegan food (Lucy's cookies comes to mind. Sorry Lucy's!) I don't want people to think, "See, that's what vegan food tastes like!"