Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Exit 98: Sunshine, Sand and Vegan Pizza

A sunny day at Point Pleasant, NJ. My accessories: plenty of sunscreen, a hat, a frisbee, and my latest book and/or magazines from the library.


I asked on a whim if they had any cheeseless slices at Joey Tomato's, and the answer was yes. Yeah! A tomato sauce and garlic slice, $3.50, with a small Cherry Coke, $1.50.

My usual haunt is this local spot on the boardwalk for a veggie burger with lettuce and tomato, $4.75, and a side of sweet potato fries. I haven't had the veggie burger since last year (pre-vegan), so I'm not sure if it's completely free of eggs/dairy. I doubt the 15-year-olds behind the counter can give you an informed answer. It's still refreshing to see veggie burgers on a boardwalk full of seafood, burgers and chicken wings.

Yes, you can win an Obama doll on the boardwalk.

Italian ices and lemonade will both cool you down on a hot day.

Veganize fudge. Or buy it online.

Swimming in the ocean, I rescued a Skittles packet and plastic beach bracelet from heading out any further. My cleanups with the Hackensack Riverkeeper have made me hyper-aware of waste, even on days of leisure.

Did you know there's a bed and breakfast in New Jersey serving vegan and vegetarian options? Serendipity Bed & Breakfast in Ocean City looks positively delightful.

On the drive on the traffic-ridden Garden State Parkway, you are guaranteed to find a song on the radio from the Boss.

No comments: