Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Taste of Greece, With Our Own Forks

Can't make it to Greece? Neither can I. How about a trip to the St. Athanasios Greek Orthodox Church's annual Greek Festival as a consolation prize? I love local food festivals such as this.

Some musical entertainment while we dined.

This man was on his head for several minutes during this flirty dance.

I think beer must be an acquired taste. Not my beverage of choice. These were my mom's and sweetheart's.

Greek fries, with lemon, pepper and oregano, $4.

Other than a Greek salad, the only other vegetarian option was spanikopita, a spinach and cheese pie in filo, served with a salad and bread, $9.

How many desserts do three people need at a Greek festival? The answer, if you are us, is four!

Desserts Winnie the Pooh would be in awe of, all $3: Kataif (Shredded filo, nuts and spices with honey syrup), galaktoboureko (custard filling in filo and covered with honey syrup), and baklava (filo, walnuts and honey syrup).

Loukoumades (light Greek doughnuts, dipped in honey syrup and dusted with cinnamon or powdered sugar), 6 for $4.

A Greek frappe to wash it all down, $4. I took the cup and lid home to recycle it.


To reduce our impact, we brought our own silverware and a reusable container for the desserts. One woman came up to me and said how great it was I brought these things and that she wants to start doing that too, and pointed out to her daughter that we need to be mindful of our waste. Compliments like these are so meaningful to me, but they also are a sign of how little steps add up and are contagious to others.

Coming up June 3 - 6, The Cathedral of St. John the Theologian is holding its annual Greek Festival in Tenafly, NJ. I went last year and had a grilled vegetable pita, which I so hope to enjoy again. They also have a White Elephant sale, where you can shop for all types of second hand wares. I have a brown cotton Limited brand shirt I paid $3 for a few years ago at the sale that I still wear.

No comments: