Thursday, February 18, 2010

So Excited For...

...spring! We're getting closer.

...the start of my French class in early March. How about a little French food to get in the mood? Doesn't pistou, a Provencal vegetable soup with basil and garlic sauce, sound so good? Here's a vegan recipe. I first read about it in Georgeanne Brennan's A Pig in Provence. I can't make to France, but I can make it to Marseille in New York City. Their version, $7.75, paired with crusty bread is hearty enough for an entire meal.

...the Banff Mountain Film Festival, which is coming to New York City's Symphony Space Monday, March 8 and Tuesday, March 9. Tickets are $21 in advance, $24 at the door. Check out their U.S. dates. I am not an extreme outdoors person by any means - a short hike is as far as I go. But I love to live vicariously through these adventurers. The cinematography is like National Geographic (one of their sponsors) come to life.


...the long-awaited return of one of my favorite singers, Natalie Merchant. I'm over the moon. She describes her upcoming album, Leave Your Sleep (due out in April), as "adaptations of poetry put to music." To me, her solo career and her work with 10,000 Maniacs is just that: poetry put to music.


Check out more performances from her BBC appearance.

Nursery Rhyme of Innocence and Experience, set to the haunting photographs of Arthur Leipzig.

2 comments:

Ted Teodoro said...

Is it five weekends till Spring? This is how I do my countdown. We'll be in the 40s in the following several days. That is good already!

The National Geographic video is wonderful. We, not only, live in a beautiful world but we live among intrepid people who enjoy it immensely. The most daring thing I have ever done in my life was to earn my FAA pilot's license out of Teterboro.

Catherine said...

As much as I enjoy winter, even I'm starting to feel cravings for spring. The family dog will be happy when he won't have to sport his coat to the park, too.

I so agree about the beauty of the world and its inhabitants. I fall more in love with it all each day, and feel grateful to live among it all.

A pilot's license is quite daring!