Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A Picnic, Parade, and Pie: One Fine Day

How does a festive church picnic under a shaded tree with ring-side seats to watch a Memorial Day parade sound? Fun, right?

My sweetheart's friend invited us to his annual church picnic in Hawthorne, New Jersey.


A picnic favorite: watermelon.


BYOVHD: Bring your own veggie hot dogs. Yes, I actually came equipped with my own. While everyone was chowing down on beef brisket, cheeseburgers and hot dogs, I had a more humane (and much more heart-healthy) veggie dog. These were Lightlife Smart Dogs from Trader Joe's.

The corn on the cob was so sweet. I washed it down with an Arnold Palmer: half lemonade, half ice tea.


The pastor's wife's homemade strawberry pie. Heavenly, pun intended. She said she found the recipe in a cookbook that she received when she first married, and it's just strawberries, with a glaze of cornstarch, sugar, water, and some crushed strawberries. Down-home, simple comfort food.


A side note: in communal situations like this, I no longer torture myself if I want a scoop of potato salad or a brownie that's non-vegan. There's usually so much food at these events, and worrying about these things does little to help animals in factory farms, in my opinion. But I digress.

I'm sure I'm not the only New Jerseyan who is sick and tired of how our state is always made fun of in the media.

I couldn't agree more with the sentiments on this t-shirt: New Jersey Girls Rule!


Call me hokey, but I love a parade.


Local heroes: your volunteer ambulance.

The spirit of America, indeed.

More of a hero than any actor or singer in my book.

Remembering.

No comments: