Thursday, January 8, 2009

More Vegan Finds in Chelsea

Before my company subjected us to a relocation to overcrowded and homogenized mid-town (uh, Starbucks and McDonald's anyone?), I used to work in New York's hip Chelsea neighborhood. I personally want to stop every tourist I see walking through Times Square with their Disney bags and tell them there is so much more to New York.

You don't have to go to a vegan place to find great vegan food. Check out Rafaella on ninth, a quaint little bistro. I had their tasty Mississipi vegan chicken sandwich, with tomato, avocado and roasted red peppers ($7.95). I always order vegan offerings in non-vegan restaurants when I see them listed. The more we support them, the more they will appear.

In the mood for Indian fare? Visit Bombay Talkie (dinner only). I had the vegetarian casserole (baked potatoes, carrots, string beans and coconut milk), $18, followed by grape sorbet. Many months later, I still reminisce about that meal.

Blossom offers organic, all-vegan cuisine. This was their soy bacon cheeseburger with chipotle aioli and caramelized onions ($13), which I washed down with a raspberry fizz ($3.50).

Dining alone? Get a seat by the window and people-watch (and in NYC, dog-watch too!)

Cafe Blossom, their sister restaurant on the opposite side of town, is very close to Central Park...the ideal location for a leisurely stroll after devouring sweet potato gnocchi ($17) or seitan scallopini ($20). Save room for their mouth-watering chocolate cake.

Never be afraid to dine solo either. Food is one of the great pleasures of life in my opinion, and fabulous food can be enjoyed with or without dining companions. Bon Appétit!

Blossom Restaurant, 187 Ninth Ave. (between 21st and 22nd) and Cafe Blossom, 466 Columbus Ave. (between 82nd and 83rd)
Bombay Talkie, 189 Ninth Ave.
Rafaella on ninth, 178 Ninth Ave.

No comments: