Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Love Letter to Fall

Why is the world in such a rush to get to Christmas? Can't we just savor each season without retailers demanding we get ready (read: shop) for the next? Frosty and Rudolph, you'll have to wait your turn. I'm still busy savoring the delights of Fall.

At the farmers market Thursdays at New York City's Port Authority, these vegan orange cranberry muffins from Prospect Hill Orchards are available year-round, but it feels so right to eat them on a crisp autumn morning. Vegan, sugar-free blueberry muffins are also available.

Also at the farmers market, homemade soups from Katchkie Farm, $4. Fall welcomed the arrival of their butternut squash soup.

At Abram Demaree Homestead in Closter, New Jersey, enjoying a baked apple, $2, on their pumpkin-dotted patio.

Staying cozy warm on their patio with the fire burning.

Seating for the younger farm-goers.


Cranberries in my stomach, cranberry-painted trees.

"Nature is the best painter," my mother declared as we were driving to a local farm. I couldn't agree more, and thought of this orange hued tree in Pascack Brook Park, which like a peacock, only sprouted its delights for the world for a short while.

Magical walkways in Van Saun Park.

Weather permitting, I hope to attend the balloon viewing of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on Thanksgiving Eve. Learn more. Flashback to my photos last year.

My favorite: the Smurf balloon! Ah, wasn't the world happier with the Smurfs on Saturday mornings instead of infomercials selling ab machines?

Savor the delights of autumn. They won't be here much longer.

2 comments:

Candles by Nature said...

I agree, I feel like everything is moving so fast...I can't believe it's already Thanksgiving! I'm so excited for my Mom's famous pumpkin pie, homemade cranberry sauce, stuffed mushrooms...oh my gosh, the list goes on! haha

Catherine said...

That all sounds delicious! Nothing beats home cooking from mom. I think even my mom's peanut butter and jelly tastes better than when I make it.

Happy Thanksgiving!