Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Supporting the Cycle of Reduce, Reuse, Recycle With Your Paper Goods

I'm always looking for ways to reduce my paper consumption. I cancelled my New York Times subscription and read it online; utilize my local library for books and magazines; call to remove myself from mailing lists when getting unwanted mail. I even bring my own towel to work when washing my ceramic dishes.

But some paper consumption is unavoidable. And for that, our friends at Greenpeace have issued a Recycled Tissue and Toilet Paper Guide to help us make an informed decision based on three criteria: 100% recycled content; at least 50% post-consumer recycled content; and bleached without toxic chlorine compounds.

Get the guide here.

Luckily, the toilet tissue I buy made the recommended list: Trader Joe's, $3.99 for a 12-pack. Its facial tissues (99 cents a box) did not, since it only had 10% post consumer content, but they've recently repackaged, and the box I have at home does say 80% post consumer content.

Read more about Greenpeace's campaign against Kimberly-Clark.
Tell Kimberly-Clark that you will avoid Kleenex, Cottonelle, Viva and other brands until they start producing product with recycled content using this Greenpeace form.
Want to reduce your junk mail? Learn how.

Want to cut down on charitable solicitations? When I send a donation, I make sure to tell the charity to put me on their 'once a year-only' solicitation list, that way they don't spend unnecessary resources sending me repeated follow-up requests.

No comments: