Monday, December 8, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Last Thursday, animals lovers around NYC dined on vegan goodies, bid on artwork, and rubbed elbows with the likes of Corey Feldman, Tatum O'Neal, and Ally Sheedy at the Winter Wonderland fundraiser held by Farm Sanctuary, the nation's leading farm animal protection organization.

I had the honor to work as a volunteer for the day. My reward, vegan pizza from Viva Herbal Pizzeria.


A silent auction featured everything from jewelry and cookbooks to original artwork.

A cool pig mosaic

Blackwell's Organic coffee gelato was a hit.

I finally got to sample some treats from Babycakes NYC. I taste-tested a chocolate chip cookie, a mini chocolate cupcake with mint frosting, and a mini-brownie. I was underwhelmed. Sweet Avenue Bake Shop in Rutherford, NJ is much better.

Dr. Cow Tree Nut Cheese. A disclaimer: as a person of Swiss heritage, I have pretty high standards. This is a descent substitute. I did find it to have an odd fudge-like consistency, but some people swear by this stuff.

Party goers were given a bag of vegan loot for the road. I can't wait to try the Road's End Organics gravy mix, and to hang up my 2009 Farm Sanctuary rescue and refuge calendar.

Of course the reason for it all, to raise money for Farm Sanctuary residents.

No comments: